Author Topic: 1000 Years?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Jim Burney

• The Lord is my Shepherd-I Shall not Want
    • View Profile
    • Beginners Guide To Internet Marketing
1000 Years?
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:32:19 AM »
Hello my American friends.

Having a little difficulty getting my head around a recent prison sentence handed out by a court.

The jail term was life +1000 years:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

Any explanations would be welcome.

Jim

Online snginc

• Nothing is impossible to an open mind!
    • View Profile
Re: 1000 Years?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
its probably to exclude the possibility of parole.  Not sure what case this involves but it sounds like a way to ensure someone never gets out of jail...if though the offense might have the possibility to parole.

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
  • Life is like photography. Use negatives to develop
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »
Jerome,

This was the sentence give by Judge Michael Russo to Cleveland resident Ariel Castro who had kidnapped 3 women separately between 2002 and 2004 when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old.  He held them captive in his home and repeatedly raped them.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/01/justice/ohio-castro
http://fox8.com/2013/08/01/surprises-expected-at-castro-sentencing/
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-02/ariel-castro-formally-sentenced/4860146

Sad, sad story. I really don't understand how a person could do what he did.  8)shh

Jim

Jim,

It is baffling, that's for sure. I think Jerome is right - it has to do with removing the possibility of parole. I also think the judge wanted to "send a message" since this was such a highly publicized case in the media.

Mark

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
but the really great makes you feel that you, too, can become great.”
~ Mark Twain

valpubs

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
There certainly seem to be times when certain genes should be removed from the pool

Online snginc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »
Ok Mark I knew the guy had been given life but I didnt know the exact verdict.  Yes that guy needs to be removed from the gene pool AND put under the prison in a hole he will never get out of.

Jerome
Jerome,

This was the sentence give by Judge Michael Russo to Cleveland resident Ariel Castro who had kidnapped 3 women separately between 2002 and 2004 when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old.  He held them captive in his home and repeatedly raped them.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/01/justice/ohio-castro
http://fox8.com/2013/08/01/surprises-expected-at-castro-sentencing/
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-02/ariel-castro-formally-sentenced/4860146

Sad, sad story. I really don't understand how a person could do what he did.  8)shh

Jim

Jim,

It is baffling, that's for sure. I think Jerome is right - it has to do with removing the possibility of parole. I also think the judge wanted to "send a message" since this was such a highly publicized case in the media.

Mark

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »
There certainly seem to be times when certain genes should be removed from the pool

I agree.   I personally thinks it's time we overhauled our judicial system. I think the system is way too soft.  Ok, so if I go out and kill, mutilate, or rape someone my punishment is that I'll be confined to a federal prison? That's it? My food, shelter, and clothing will be provided for me AND I get to have rec time AND I get to watch TV? Where's the punishment?

Don't get me wrong, I personally would go crazy if I was locked up behind bars with my freedom taken away. And I don't think longer jail terms are the answer.  But what if the punishment for stealing a car was 10 years hard labor picking up rocks in some steamy hot farm field in some hot southern state?  (I grew up on a farm & I hate picking up rocks!)  Wouldn't that make a potential thief think twice before he steals something?  Shouldn't the purpose of the judicial system be to punish criminals AND also deter people from committing crimes? I just don't think there is enough deterrent.

Likewise with rapists. Why don't we punish them more then we do? I'm not going to get graphic here but why do we allow convicted violent rapists to remain um ... intact?  As a potential rapist considering raping someone, if you knew that if caught you would lose the ability to have sex wouldn't that seriously deter you from committing rape?

What about white collar criminals?  If you are an accountant who is facing the temptation to embezzle $25,000 BUT you knew that if caught you would have to spend the next 10 years doing hard PHYSICAL labor wouldn't you think twice?

No, I'm not trying to be mean nor vindictive. As a Christian I strongly believe in love, acceptance and forgiveness but I also believe there needs to be more accountability in our society.  This is a poor example, but I love speed. The faster the better!  :laugh:  But I know that if I get caught I will have to pay a hefty speeding ticket AND my insurance will go way up. Cha-ching! Plus I realize that my speeding could possibly hurt someone. Those 3 things help me to control my speed urges. 

Shouldn't our judicial system do the same thing? Shouldn't the punishment actually deter potential criminals more than it does? What do you think?

Mark
“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
~ Mark Twain

Online snginc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
I hear what you're saying but I'm not talking about an eye for an eye. I'm talking about our judicial system doing a better job deterring potential criminals from committing crime.

Mark
~ Mark Twain

valpubs

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »
Mr Gandhi did start a highly successful passive action campaign against the Colonial powers - could that sort of thing work with crims? hmmm

How about some or all of the following:

1. Putting all crims onto some sort of blacklist that disallows them from claiming benefits, insurance, contracts (i.e. cellphone) unless they do it through an exclusive agency of some sort

2. Physical, unpaid hard labor for every one of them regardless of the crime level.

3. No benefits to prison - i.e. no TV / rec time - basic lockdown oh, and the cells to be as boring and personality-free as possible.

4. Any money earned by the crim to be given to the charity which helps the victim/s the most - that would include any monies gathered through the auction of the crim's entire personal belongings - food, furniture, house, car, stocks n' shares etc. - monies to be distributed once the cost of the crim's internment has been taken care of.

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 04:59:03 PM »
Great suggestions Dom!

Mark
~ Mark Twain