Author Topic: Adding the "Bass" Back to "GraphicBass"  (Read 2235 times)

Offline GraphicBass

• View Profile
    • Wells-Smith Partners, Publishers
Adding the "Bass" Back to "GraphicBass"
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:36:23 PM »
Many of you know I started dialysis last October. In April of last year, I had to quit playing bass in my beloved swing band due to the increasing ill effects of end-stage kidney failure (fatigue, memory loss, weakness). After three botched gigs where I had music out of order, delaying the gigs, and several times literally forgetting how to read the music, it was time to hang up the bass. It was a bad time from then on to the end of the year.

But I've been on dialysis for six months and am doing excellently. I lost 45 pounds of fluid, my blood work has been normal since the beginning of the year, and my energy levels are back to what they once were. I even drove a 12-hour trip from Atlanta to Northern Virginia and back and still have energy to be posting.

Life is good again, with the only downside being the 18 hours a week I spend involved with dialysis. Well worth it, in my opinion, for what I receive in return (and I even get work done on my laptop during that time).

So on the way back from Virginia today, we drove past a large music store off I-85 in South Carolina that I always wanted to explore, and this time, we stopped for a visit.

While browsing the bass guitar section, I noticed a nice little practice bass amp (I sold my amps last year when it appeared I wouldn't be playing any more). My wife, bless her soul, commented, "Don't you think you should start practicing again, for when you want to find a new band?"

She knows me well, and knows I've missed playing (37 years, not counting last year). So we bought that little amp and I now have a shiny new piece of electronics in the living room. Did one practice session for about 15 minutes before both hands gave out, but I'll get my "chops" back soon enough.

So if you hear a low rumbling notice anywhere in the world, that just me, GraphicBass, and I'm back to making grooves!

Just wanted to share....

gary

Gary Smith,  Wells-Smith Partners, Publisher
<a href="http://www.YourEmployeeHandbook.com/become-an-affiliate/">Your Employee Handbook Affiliate Program — 60% commission, average sale $57</a>

ContentWriter

Re: Adding the "Bass" Back to "GraphicBass"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I've said it before, but it's well worth repeating: You're an incredible inspiration Gary!

This Drummer thought there was a Bass Line
within the breeze coming up from the Southeast.

Now I know I wasn't just hearing things ;)
  :music:

Congratulations for buying a new amp & getting back into the "Swing" of things! (pun intended)

If you would, please share a video or recording of your Band with us.

~Karen

Offline thebaron

• View Profile
    • Internet Marketing Consultant
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:25:18 AM »
A great life story Gary

So glad to hear you are doing well (music to my ears?)

Keep it up Gary cos I am looking forward to you inviting us all to your first gig!

Onwards & Upwards

Brian

Offline Donald

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:34:38 AM »
Gary,

So good to hear that you're getting back into the swing of things. Hope things get better and you'll soon be back in a "GraphicBass" band giving it laldy....

Keep us posted and as Karen said, get a video up so we can hear you play.

Kind Regards

Donald

Offline KarenMcG

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »
Gary,

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to know you're progressing nicely with your health.

I'm also glad to learn you're getting back into the swing of things...enough so you got your bass back!

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing a little bit of your music, too.

Karen

Offline GraphicBass

• View Profile
    • Wells-Smith Partners, Publishers
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I appreciate it.

The website for the band is at http://www.metrojazzclub.com

It has a video on the home page that includes me, and perhaps a few more. Most of the audio clips with me playing have been taken down in favor of my replacement.

I doubt if I'll do a swing band again -- been there, done that, and learned and experienced what I wanted. I've never played in a country band, and I have a fondness for "new country" so I may try that! Whoop dee do!

gary
Gary Smith,  Wells-Smith Partners, Publisher
<a href="http://www.YourEmployeeHandbook.com/become-an-affiliate/">Your Employee Handbook Affiliate Program — 60% commission, average sale $57</a>

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
  • Life is like photography. Use negatives to develop
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »
Gary,

Thank you for sharing that with us - it's wonderful that you are doing better!

Keep it up Gary cos I am looking forward to you inviting us all to your first gig!

I second that Brian!

Mark
“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
but the really great makes you feel that you, too, can become great.”
~ Mark Twain

Offline Jim Burney

• The Lord is my Shepherd-I Shall not Want
    • View Profile
    • Beginners Guide To Internet Marketing
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:16:32 PM »
Hi Gary

Inspiring story indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Your wife deserves a 'pat on the back' for the encouragement she has shown to you.

I'm thrilled by your continuing progress.

Jim