Author Topic: Advice wanted  (Read 1048 times)

Offline mlane

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
Advice wanted
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
 :help:
So I am looking at buying a new computer.  My traveling laptop slipped out of the bag as I was taking it to work and apparently they don't like that.  Gotta budget of $1000. but will not be spending that much as I already have 3 computers, and lets get real, getting into the hoarding stage at this point lol.
I already have an iphone, with over 250 apps most universal so would work on ipads (who says you can't hoard digital stuff too?) But the screen is way too small to really do much, so I am looking at the iPad, but then I would probably need a keyboard, as writing on them is literally writing ON them :) The Iphone Mini is a great size for traveling, (I used to use a Palm Pilot and keyboard) , but same thing again, kinda small and would need a keyboard.  I know people with both, but they use them for texting or playing, but I need someone who actually uses a tablet as a worker! Anyone have either that they can give me their opinion on iPads are working out for them?

OR should I just buy a replacement small laptop? (my daughter just got a 13" Macbook Pro. Nice size, sexy look, but what is the use of Macs when half of my programs don't run on them? ) I mean 15.6" Acer Aspires are going for $370 for 6 gigs and I could read THAT screen without a magnifying glass :)

Any information on what you guys use would be really invaluable to me as this money is burning a hole in my pocket. If I don't buy one soon, I will spend it on stupid things like ...bills, rent, food etc.  :dance:

Offline gonefishing

• brb
    • View Profile
Re: Advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:40:47 AM »
How about a Samsung Note 10.1? That is if you're also comfortable working on an Android device.

valpubs

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:34:14 AM »
It's a pity that Apple won't be combining the iOS and Mac OS any time soon (too many engineers and graphic designers needing that power from the Mac OS).

However, doing a tinsy bit of research have you thought of combining an iPhone 5 with a, say, Apple Macbook Pro (15.4")?

The newest Mac OS (Mountain Lion) seems to have quite a few similarities with iOS (at least with the ability to 'cloud' your docs etc.) and the newer the hardware the closer together the OS seem to get (IMHO)

I'm sure you could get a good deal from your local Apple store on a combo deal.

valpubs

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:43:06 AM »
Of course, if you don't want another phone then you could be looking at using an iPad 2 with a removable keyboard.

On Google Shopping there's a company called Hammacher Schlemmer (far too many Ms to be serious!) who do a nice-looking battery-powered keyboard:
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81961?source=GOOGLECAT&cm_ven=googlecat (not an aff. link)

Read the reviews as I don't know the size of your hands  ::!::

Offline mlane

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »
Dom, all great ideas, except the price tag lol.  I have an iphone 4s and in perfect order so not going to be springing another $$$ on a phone for at least a year.  And the problem with Macs is that so few of my programs work properly on them.   And the problem with an ipad is that it just doesn't do enough. (But looks so cool! lol)

And gonefishing, thanks for the suggestion, I did take a look at them, nice, very nice, but of course my addiction to iphone apps is bad enough without android apps too lol.
PS any ios users out there don't know about http://appchronicles.com/category/apps-gone-free/...should.  (Well, not if you have hoarding issues lol)

I think I am going with a 15" 6 gig acer, just because it is dirt cheap this week, fairly small size (well not that small, but the 13 and 11" notebooks are 2 gig, this is 6) and can run word etc.  For $79 bucks I can get a 3 year no questions asked replace it guarantee. (which I wish I had on the original acer I busted) I bought a seagate 1.5 T external yesterday ($55 on sale!!) so not going to worry about storage
Thanks again for the suggestions, I totally appreciated them!  :wav:

PS I was thinking of getting one of these for my problem of the iphone doing everything an ipad does but screen too small. Seems like the ideal solution. Whatcha think? :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: