Author Topic: Bots in the Network?  (Read 788 times)

Offline GraphicBass

• View Profile
    • Wells-Smith Partners, Publishers
Bots in the Network?
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
Got an automated phone call from Comcast about "bot" on my computer. After checking it out, I decided they really hadn't investigated my machines specifically, but had found some viruses in the IP blocks assigned to my network (and thousands of others).

I went to the Comcast site and discovered they offer a version of Norton Internet Protector and Anti-Virus to customers at no charge. I downloaded it, isolated my machine from the network, and tested it out, and it seems to be genuine and running well.

No doubt, there may by a subscription charge that eventually pops up for updates to virus definitions, but as I've been meaning to install anti-virus software, that's OK. Don't need the firewall, since my network sits behind not one, but two, routers, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

My Macs are generally pretty resistant to these types of infections, but you never know when a hacker is going to decide to take out a few thousand of Steve Job's pride and joy just for the fun of it! Better safe than well, you know the rest.

Just wanted to throw that out here, in case you want to check with your various ISPs about a similar deal.

gary

Gary Smith,  Wells-Smith Partners, Publisher
<a href="http://www.YourEmployeeHandbook.com/become-an-affiliate/">Your Employee Handbook Affiliate Program 60% commission, average sale $57</a>