Author Topic: Do You Skype?  (Read 5610 times)

Offline GraphicBass

• View Profile
    • Wells-Smith Partners, Publishers
Do You Skype?
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
I've looked at this from time to time and always resisted getting on the "Skype train" for the same reason I don't like instant messaging: Sometimes I don't want to be interrupted in my work to take a call.

One of my clients wants me to do more with Skype and loves showing his screen shots, etc.

I am dubious. It's cool, but does it make me money? That said, I may need to embrace it just to satisfy my client.

I'd appreciate comments, good and bad. (BTW, I'm on a Mac, and I've heard the Skype client for Macs is terrible).

gary

Gary Smith,  Wells-Smith Partners, Publisher
<a href="http://www.YourEmployeeHandbook.com/become-an-affiliate/">Your Employee Handbook Affiliate Program 60% commission, average sale $57</a>

Offline joesal

• The interent is a long and winding road
    • View Profile
    • Best Article Directory
Re: Do You Skype?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
I have to admit that I have been very slow to embrace Skype. Thats because I joined way back when and the program was full of bugs. I just recently started dabbeling  with it again and it is very cool. I really like when I search online and if there is a phone number in the US I can just click it and skype will call it. I am not sure of using it as a marketing tool though.....

Offline thebaron

• View Profile
    • Internet Marketing Consultant
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
I use Skype

But I mainly use it to contact family members, It has the choice of video calls or just voice calls I think you can leave messages too.

It is also handy for helping other forum members, if they are seen as on here "online" you can pm them and offer help by Skpye (if they have it) I have recently done this with one member (from Scotland  ;D) and now we sort of keep in contact as once you have their Skpye name added in Skype you can see if they are online or not, then give them a quick call to say good day or what ever.

Skype is now a lot better than it use to be, but I do not use it as yet for marketing reasons.

Brian

Offline GraphicBass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »
Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I've decided to go ahead and re-install and use it with just the one client. I will look for the older version for Mac. Reviews for the new one say it's horrible beyond  belief!

gary
<a href="http://www.YourEmployeeHandbook.com/become-an-affiliate/">Your Employee Handbook Affiliate Program 60% commission, average sale $57</a>

Offline Wayne

• Let's EAT: Exposure-Action-Trade
    • View Profile
    • Mercs LLC: Action Oriented Technology
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »
I prefer to use Skype on my iPod Touch or my Nokia cell phone. I can use my hands-free/headset and still get stuff done on the computer w/o things interferring.

I also don't open the app unless I'm willing to talk to someone. I've never had anyone abuse the ability to ''call'' me whenever -- if they did it would be the same sort who would call you on the phone all the time...

HTH

valpubs

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
I Skype occasionally - mainly when I remember to turn it on.

I'll only Skype with those I have in my contact list - I don't accept calls from all and sundry - I'm not that kinda guy!

Offline KarenMcG

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »
I have Skype and have it on almost all the time that I am on the computer...which is a long time.

Having said that, though, I also don't have the sound on until I put my earphones on so if someone calls me I don't hear the ring. I do, however, see the Skype flashing thing so that I know I  have a call coming in.

I don't use the video part of Skype where you see who you are talking to.

If I can't take the call or don't want to for whatever reason, the person leaves me a typed message and I get back to them when I'm able to.  Which is usually soon after the original call comes - unless I'm not home.

I also like Skype for transferring documents.

I'm like Dom, though, I don't have just anyone in my Skype contact list.

And occasionally I will get an errant message from someone that I've never heard of. If that happens and you don't want to be in contact with them, you just put that person on block.

Also, a couple of years ago I was in a meeting on Skype and we heard someone talking that none of us knew...somehow that person was able to get in on our conversation. But that just happened once to me. I suppose it could happen to others a lot.

All in all, I like Skype because you really are the one in control with it.

Karen

Henley

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »
I use it a lot, but mainly the messaging, and never the video.

One thing no-one has mentioned yet, is that you can set your status to be invisible, so you appear to be offline when you are actually online. You still receive all the messages and calls sent to you, but ecause you are not noticed as being online you get bothered less.

Offline GraphicBass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
I use it a lot, but mainly the messaging, and never the video.

One thing no-one has mentioned yet, is that you can set your status to be invisible, so you appear to be offline when you are actually online. You still receive all the messages and calls sent to you, but ecause you are not noticed as being online you get bothered less.

SOLD! That's what I needed to hear... hopefully, it's on the old Mac version.

gary

Offline Jim Burney

• The Lord is my Shepherd-I Shall not Want
    • View Profile
    • Beginners Guide To Internet Marketing
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »
Very rarely do I Skype anymore.

Far too distracting for my liking, even with the offline mode.

Of course others using Skype may have better focus than I possess. :wistle:

Offline Donald

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 06:05:49 AM »

It is also handy for helping other forum members, if they are seen as on here "online" you can pm them and offer help by Skpye (if they have it) I have recently done this with one member (from Scotland  ;D) and now we sort of keep in contact as once you have their Skpye name added in Skype you can see if they are online or not, then give them a quick call to say good day or what ever.

I think it's a very good tool. I have only used it so far contacting forum members. Saves money on phone calls I guess. I believe my daughter is going to use it at her weddding the Dominican so that folks from back home can see.

I think I'll see if BB is online.

Donald

Offline thebaron

• View Profile
    • Internet Marketing Consultant
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 06:31:39 AM »

I think it's a very good tool. I have only used it so far contacting forum members. Saves money on phone calls I guess. I believe my daughter is going to use it at her weddding the Dominican so that folks from back home can see.

I think I'll see if BB is online.

Donald

BB is online now Donald  ;D

Offline ASUService

• Harley's & Jack Daniels! God's gift to man!
    • View Profile
    • GoMobile Marketing USA - Mobile Advertising Solutions
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »
Missed this when first posted.

I don't Skype at all and I realize there is a free option but doesn't Google Chat combined with Google Voice do the same things as Skype's Premium option? I have used Googles service many times and it seems to be pretty stable. One downside tho' ... When I installed Google Voice on my cell it flipped everything. All usage of my cell phone was via Google Voice including the caller id. Didn't like that.

I do understand Skype is more popular.

Offline doc333

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
    • Free Advertising Explosion
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
I'm on Skype, but, I'm never on Skype.  ;D

Doc333
How to Create WEALTH and SUCCESS http://www.dynamicmindexpansion.com
$16,000 A Month from ENERGENTICS...WITH MY HELP http://www.austdoc.com

Offline Donald

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »
Yep, use Skype, just off it talking to a guy who sells prints on eBay for advice. Just to let you guys know, been getting there on the prints niche. Sols 2 on Sunday, 1 will go tonight and the rest being watched as we speak. Bought a book today for more prints to on eBay. SORRY FOR DIGRESSING

Regards

Donald