Author Topic: Memorial Day - thank you vets!  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
  • Life is like photography. Use negatives to develop
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
Memorial Day - thank you vets!
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:40:59 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow is May 26 which is Memorial Day here in the USA.  It's unfortunate but many forget what Memorial Day is really about ... it's not just a 3 day weekend.  It's a day set aside to honor the sacrifices of others.  On Memorial Day we honor our brave servicemen & women, both past & present. The freedoms that we enjoy here in the United States were paid for with the blood, sweat, and tears of brave American servicemen and women many of whom paid the ultimate price by sacrificing their lives so that others could remain free.

Let us give thanks for our many freedoms and honor our veterans, both living & dead as well as the families of those who have lost loved ones in battle. To our servicemen & women, whether you are currently serving or retired, I thank you from the bottom of my heart and may God richly bless you!

Thanks,
Mark

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
but the really great makes you feel that you, too, can become great.”
~ Mark Twain

Offline Jim Burney

• The Lord is my Shepherd-I Shall not Want
    • View Profile
    • Beginners Guide To Internet Marketing
Re: Memorial Day - thank you vets!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing Mark.

Time for reflection and prayer.

Jim

Offline snginc

• Nothing is impossible to an open mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
Thank you for posting this.  For those who haven't served you dont really know what it is that we do.  At times its a hard, thankless job.  You miss life events, birthdays and anniversaries.  Sometimes you are a long way from home in a place where full of different languages and cultures that you arent used to but it can be very rewarding when all is said and done.

This is a picture of me with an Admiral at my Commanding Officer's (CO) Retirement Ceremony.  My CO was on active duty for 29 years.  It takes commitment to duty to serve for that long.  It's not about the money, it's about something more, something that has no physical thing to hold on to.  When you serve for that long it's in your soul.  I enlisted in 1989, spent a year on active duty before going to college on an ROTC Scholarship.  After 6 years in school (BS In Mathematics, Associates in Naval Science and Physics) I earned my Commission as an Officer in the US Navy.  I spent 10.5 years on active duty doing various jobs (I still havent been able to do a resume..in 1 2 year period (the same as when that picture was taken I was an Aviation Weather Instructor, Command Public Affairs Officer, Datebase manager for 3 systems used worldwide, I was also the Command Disaster Preparedness Officer when Hurricane Ivan hit us...10 days without power taking care of 250 enlisted members and then inheriting another 500 servicemembers because there was no one else to take care of them...I also had other collateral duties during this time.   How do you put that (and everything else that I did) into a 1 page resume?

After my active duty time I spent 4 years as a reservist (once you are in the military its hard to be out of it even when forced to get off of active duty) currently I'm in the Individual Ready Reserve which means I dont drill but I can be called back to service at a moment's notice.  We do what we do because we believe in serving.  It's my understanding that one meaning of the word Samurai means to serve. 

Here is a poem that is read when someone retires from the Navy.  It sums things up pretty well.
The Watch

For twenty years
This sailor has stood the watch

While some of us were in our bunks at night
This sailor stood the watch

While some of us were in school learning our trade
This shipmate stood the watch

Yes.. even before some of us were born into this world

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen brewing on the horizon of history

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing there
Needing his guidance and help
Needing that hand to hold during those hard times
But he still stood the watch

He stood the watch for twenty years
He stood the watch so that we, our families and
Our fellow countrymen could sleep soundly in safety, Each and every night
Knowing that a sailor stood the watch

Today we are here to say
'Shipmate... the watch stands relieved
Relieved by those You have trained ,Guided, and Lead
Shipmate you stand relieved.. we have the watch..."

"Boatswain..Standby to pipe the side...Shipmate's going Ashore.."

From http://www.goatlocker.org/retire/watch.htm

Freedom aint free!

Some paid all, all paid some

Jerome

Offline hillsborowd

• Sr Member
  • Best Forum to be In
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 03:14:01 PM »
Mark,

Thank You so much and Jerome you have that correct about being a thankless job and more. And the more you give the more that is expected and  that is the way it is. I think you and everyone else that has given for their country and remember many that gave the total sacrifice their lives this is what it about. Remember Freedom isn't Free
Bill Brooks    hillsborowd@gmail.com

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
How do you put that (and everything else that I did) into a 1 page resume?

Use a very, very small font!   :laugh: Just teasing ya Jerome!

In all seriousness though, thank you Jerome, Bill and all the veterans for your service. It is greatly appreciated!

Mark
“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
~ Mark Twain

Offline teleam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:37:15 AM »
I am honored to know you Jerome.

Tom

Offline Jim Burney

• The Lord is my Shepherd-I Shall not Want
    • View Profile
    • Beginners Guide To Internet Marketing
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 07:28:26 AM »
Powerful testimony Jerome.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Offline KarenMcG

• Sr Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
Mark,

Thank you for starting this thread.  The tribute videos and photos are so moving.

Jerome, thank you for your service. And Bill, thank you for your service as well.

And, of course, thank you to any others reading/lurking here who provided your own service or know of someone who did.

Karen

Offline snginc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »
It would be a hell of a small font!  I signed on the dotted line and join the Navy June 12, 1989 and it was worth it then and its worth it now.

How do you put that (and everything else that I did) into a 1 page resume?

Use a very, very small font!   :laugh: Just teasing ya Jerome!

In all seriousness though, thank you Jerome, Bill and all the veterans for your service. It is greatly appreciated!

Mark

Offline snginc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
You are welcome my friend.  :welcome:  You are so right...to much that is given is much to be expected!  Freedom aint free and is paid for those who have gone before us and those who are protecting us right now.  :wav:
Mark,

Thank You so much and Jerome you have that correct about being a thankless job and more. And the more you give the more that is expected and  that is the way it is. I think you and everyone else that has given for their country and remember many that gave the total sacrifice their lives this is what it about. Remember Freedom isn't Free

Offline snginc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »
Thank you Tom and I am honored to know you!

I am honored to know you Jerome.

Tom

Offline snginc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
You're welcome and Thanks!  This is a journey I started at 17..it aint over yet!  8))
Powerful testimony Jerome.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Offline tcolleen

• View Profile
    • Entreprenurse
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 09:21:30 PM »
Thank you Mark, for starting this post.  I was just explaining to my daughter today why it's such an important thing to observe this holiday.  The men and women who serve in our military give up so much to defend our freedoms.   

In addition to thanking all of you who have served, and currently serve, I would like to thank your families.  Without their support, it wouldn't be possible. 

Jerome - you can use a huge font, all caps, bold, italics, and underline as far as I'm concerned.  You've earned it, and then some!   :applause:

Offline mobear410

• Rocketing Through
    • View Profile
    • Ample Green Foundation
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 02:14:55 AM »
You are all quite welcome. I served in Vietnam at the end of the war to help get our troops out. It felt like we were given an impossible task to "police" rather than engage but the enemy did not run us out...the pompest a**es in Washington made us put our tail between our legs & leave getting killed on the way out. Now we do big business with Vietnam. I still have nightmares about Vietnam. To tell the truth I volunteered & made it a stipulation of my contract that I would serve in Vietnam. I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I'm glad we are able to put aside our differences & do business with them. I pray for those lost souls that went MIA & those who were POWs that was able to return. I am using my disability money to start & fund a non profit foundation to help disabled (enabled) vets & those in my community that needs a helping hand during these hard times.

Thank you for posting this.  For those who haven't served you dont really know what it is that we do.  At times its a hard, thankless job.  You miss life events, birthdays and anniversaries.  Sometimes you are a long way from home in a place where full of different languages and cultures that you arent used to but it can be very rewarding when all is said and done.

This is a picture of me with an Admiral at my Commanding Officer's (CO) Retirement Ceremony.  My CO was on active duty for 29 years.  It takes commitment to duty to serve for that long.  It's not about the money, it's about something more, something that has no physical thing to hold on to.  When you serve for that long it's in your soul.  I enlisted in 1989, spent a year on active duty before going to college on an ROTC Scholarship.  After 6 years in school (BS In Mathematics, Associates in Naval Science and Physics) I earned my Commission as an Officer in the US Navy.  I spent 10.5 years on active duty doing various jobs (I still havent been able to do a resume..in 1 2 year period (the same as when that picture was taken I was an Aviation Weather Instructor, Command Public Affairs Officer, Datebase manager for 3 systems used worldwide, I was also the Command Disaster Preparedness Officer when Hurricane Ivan hit us...10 days without power taking care of 250 enlisted members and then inheriting another 500 servicemembers because there was no one else to take care of them...I also had other collateral duties during this time.   How do you put that (and everything else that I did) into a 1 page resume?

After my active duty time I spent 4 years as a reservist (once you are in the military its hard to be out of it even when forced to get off of active duty) currently I'm in the Individual Ready Reserve which means I dont drill but I can be called back to service at a moment's notice.  We do what we do because we believe in serving.  It's my understanding that one meaning of the word Samurai means to serve. 

Here is a poem that is read when someone retires from the Navy.  It sums things up pretty well.
The Watch

For twenty years
This sailor has stood the watch

While some of us were in our bunks at night
This sailor stood the watch

While some of us were in school learning our trade

Yes.. even before some of us were born into this world

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen brewing on the horizon of history

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing there
Needing his guidance and help
Needing that hand to hold during those hard times
But he still stood the watch

He stood the watch for twenty years
He stood the watch so that we, our families and
Our fellow countrymen could sleep soundly in safety, Each and every night
Knowing that a sailor stood the watch

Today we are here to say
'Shipmate... the watch stands relieved
Relieved by those You have trained ,Guided, and Lead
Shipmate you stand relieved.. we have the watch..."

"Boatswain..Standby to pipe the side...Shipmate's going Ashore.."

From http://www.goatlocker.org/retire/watch.htm

Freedom aint free!

Some paid all, all paid some

Jerome
Thom Dickey, C.E.O. & Co Founder
http://www.amplegreenfoundation.com

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
Thank you for your service Thom!

Mark
~ Mark Twain