Author Topic: The Role of Society In The Murder of ERic Garner by An American Police Gang  (Read 1238 times)

Offline magicman

• SR Member
    • View Profile
    • Business Building for Small Business
Well, hello there. I haven't just been spotty in my attention to our fabulous forum, I've been really busy with some social activism work. I'm going to start building a new website over the next few days (got the domain!). I just finished my research and report writing on a subject I've been looking at for a while: Police brutality - especially against people of color and poor people of all colors.

Don't think for a minute 5-0 won't smash your ass to the ground because you're white, or privileged or a student. Check this story out from my back yard: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cop-body-slams-female-college-student_us_58eb725ce4b058f0a030928c. A 22 yr old white girl out on the town with her boyfriend gets slammed to the concrete by a cop face first! (She's all of 115 pounds, according to her booking information.)

So my mission is two-fold - "Fighting for the rights of the people and the safety of law enforcement." So, i'll love the good guys and rail against the bad guys. Unfortunately, trends over the last couple of decades (that we have allowed) have contributed to the cop warrior mentality...and we're considered the "enemy" in many cases.

Anyway.....I've just completed my first paper on the subject above. You will be the first to see it.

Your copy is free at this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2SEBeZn8HfbOFBZN1hHZjh1VGs

I live in a relatively small town (120,0000 pop) and, so far, am on a very good footing with the local PD. I attended a couple of civilian classes, have interacted a couple times with the chief, and last week dropped off marble pound cake at the police station as part of my "Cake for Cops" program. Next month I'm planning to coordinate a postcard campaign to the local PD that will tell them how grateful we are that they'll be working over the Memorial Day holiday while we can party on, Garth.

That's all good. For most citizens the most blatant bad cop behavior experienced is attempts (mostly successfully) to violate our Fourth Amendment rights. Generally, it's asking anybody with whom they come in contact to show ID - aside from traffic stops. If you're wandering around a police station taking pictures, for example, officers will come out and demand 1) you show ID and 2) stop taking pictures or filming. The no picture/filming thing is protected by the First Amendment and is legal on public property taking photos of any public person in the performance of their duties serving the public. Don't try taking cops on without more information than this...I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

So, there are laws and law enforcement will be made to adhere to them - even if they're brought to the Constitutional table kicking and screaming. HOWEVER - push-to-shove - I'll fold like a cheap tent and comply and complain later.  Hope you get a lot out of my report. It's a sobering read.

Peace, prayers and love - MM

Offline Mark Austin

• Admin
  • Life is like photography. Use negatives to develop
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Weekly
Thanks for the free copy MM.  Given the events of recent years, I think this is a great topic. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I look forward to it. 

Wishing you great suucess MM!

Mark
“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
but the really great makes you feel that you, too, can become great.”
~ Mark Twain

Offline magicman

• SR Member
    • View Profile
You are very welcome Mark. Hope you get a lot out of this. -MM

Offline magicman

• SR Member
    • View Profile
Anybody else interested in social justice?