Author Topic: Blogger Template Editing  (Read 1996 times)

valpubs

  • Guest
Blogger Template Editing
« on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
Howdy Gang

I'm editing the HTML of my Blogger template in order to make the title tags SEO optimized.

*** NEW MODIFICATION TO POST***
I was following the coding examples in this download from RRW : Quick Blogger SEO Code Mods

In this pdf I was told to remove these lines of code from the original template:

<b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/>
    <title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
    <b:skin><![CDATA[

and replace them with this:

<b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/>
    <b:if cond='data:blog.pageType=&quot;index&quot;'>
    <title><data:blog.pageName/> | <data:blog.title/></title>
    <b:else/>
    <title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
    </b:if>
    <b:skin><![CDATA[/*

Now, what this is meant to do is to make my title tags SEO optimized (possibly something similar to Wordpress's %postname% custom structure in the permalinks - I'm not sure)

But...

When I went to preview the changes I got this message from Blogger:

"  Extra characters at end of string: buf=[="index"] remainder=[]  " (excluding the quote marks)

I cannot, for the life of me, find out where I'm going wrong!

Any coders out there see where my error is?

Cheers



~Karen

  • Guest
Re: Blogger Template Editing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
Forget Blogger!

Go with Joomla 1.6.3

It's fast, it's security personified, it's fantastic!!!

~Karen
ps. Now, about optimizing that thing: PM what you want it optimized for.  :::tu

Offline Wayne

  • Sr. Member
  • Posts: 527
  • Let's EAT: Exposure-Action-Trade
    • View Profile
    • Mercs LLC: Action Oriented Technology
Re: Blogger Template Editing
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:20:04 PM »
<b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/>
    <title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
    <b:skin><![CDATA[

and replace them with this:

<b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/>
    <b:if cond='data:blog.pageType=&quot;index&quot;'>
    <title><data:blog.pageName/> | <data:blog.title/></title>
    <b:else/>
    <title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
    </b:if>
    <b:skin><![CDATA[/*

I'd guess it was the /* at the end of the replacement string that wasn't at the end of the replaced string.

valpubs

  • Guest
Re: Blogger Template Editing
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:51:11 AM »
Good thought Wayne but nope, that had no effect.

Offline Wayne

  • Sr. Member
  • Posts: 527
  • Let's EAT: Exposure-Action-Trade
    • View Profile
    • Mercs LLC: Action Oriented Technology
Re: Blogger Template Editing
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
Good thought Wayne but nope, that had no effect.

Next I would change the &quot; to " to test.
With and without the /* being there.

(Yes, this is exactly how I'd debug it if I were fixing it myself, I'd just have quicker turn around time than posting to the forum and waiting...)

Good luck!